A console table can be the first piece of furniture that a family member or guest may view when entering your home, so getting the right design is essential for first impressions. Practicality is also important therefore if you require storage; purchase a console table that features drawers - as console tables must be an elegant space saver
Before you purchase your console table look at the style of your existing furniture and décor in the room, do you want your console table to blend in or stand out as a feature piece? Console tables incorporate different materials such as wood; glass and gloss below are examples of materials and what they are best used for.
• Wooden console tables are a popular choice as they provide a traditional or contemporary look and will blend into most decors. To brighten your room we would suggest a lighter wooden finish, painted wood for a rustic country look and dark wood for a contemporary sleek feel.
• Glass console tables are perfect for smaller spaces as they give you a larger perception due to a transparent material design. Glass console tables are easy to blend with other furniture and décor due to its simple yet modern qualities.
• Gloss console tables create a striking impact and are ideal for a more modern look. The gloss finished console tables are also ideal for bedrooms for creating a boudoir feel.
You can accessorise your console table to create a unique style with vases, photos and lamps. Your can also create a cool and contemporary look by adding a mirror, picture or feature wallpaper behind the console table. If you wish to create a wow look, purchase a contrasting colour to your décor so your console table becomes the primary focus.
Due to its slim line structure console tables can be used for multiple purposes depending on the size, shape and structure of the table. Below are a few alternative ideas for using your console table.
• Hallway – console tables are perfect in hallways due to the narrow space and reduced storage. Choosing a design with drawers and underneath shelving makes it ideal for hiding mail, pens and other accessories. Hallways tend to feature wasted storage space therefore utilising this space will reduce clutter but also provide a contemporary look.
• Living space - using a console table in a living room can provide a focal point plus if your room features a large open area, positioning a console table can divide a room. Displaying ornaments or glassware on your console table will create a home feel.
• Dressing table - console tables can be used in the bedroom to create a modern dressing table with a mirror placed behind.
• Desk – ideal for a children’s bedroom with limited space, the console table can be used as a desk for homework. Placing storage shelves or artwork above your console can create a stylish study space.
Depending on where you position your console table will determine how often it will be used. If you decide to place your console table in heavy traffic areas in your home such as a hallway or living room, a wooden console is most desirable due to its hard wearing surface top. Placing a mirrored or gloss console in your office or bedroom where it will be used less frequently will allow longevity of your item.